Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Scene

Well, I guess I could post an actual scene I've been working on. It's a rought draft and there are bound to be typos. I don't know if I'l really post these, I haven't decided....could be weird......

(A very slim and fit women of 35 stands in front of a circle of chairs that are filled with overweight women)

Melinda: Hello Ladies! My name is Melinda and I would like to welcome you to the first day of your new life! Who’s ready to shed pounds and rediscover themselves? There’s only one woman who can help you, and that women is Jenny Craig! Welcome to the program ladies! Woo hoo! You know, I was once just like all of you. I was once sitting in those chairs just like you. Except, I wasn’t in just one chair. No ladies. I sat in two. Yes, that’s right, I weighed an astonishing 499 lbs. I couldn’t even get out of bed. I couldn’t drive a car. I felt hopeless. Then one day after finishing off en entire birthday cake and a loaf of bread after the 700-club morning show, I saw a Jenny commercial. I picked up the phone that day ladies and made the call that saved my life. I called my husband who was in the next room and asked him to get the astro van ready. I hadn’t left the house in 15 years, not too mention I hadn’t even gotten out of that bed in 5 years. One of the pillows had molded to my back and had started growing on my skin. Ladies, do you know what its like to have stayed in the same position for 5 years? I couldn’t stand up. I couldn’t even roll over. My husband called an ambulance and with a little Crisco and a homemade pulley device, they were able to get me to my first meeting. I sat with women just like you. We shared our stories, and now I would like us to do the same. Meredith, we will start with you.

Meredith: (very quietly and embarrassed) Hello, I’m Meredith and I joined Jenny because according to my husband I’m a lard ass that resembles the Pillsbury doughboys fat older sister who they can’t show on TV because she’s so fat she repulses customers who are interested in Pillsbury’s delicious pastries. Not too mention, swimsuit season is around the corner.
Melinda: Thank you for sharing Meredith. Lets have Mary-Beth share next.

Mary-Beth: Okay, Hi. I’m Mary-Beth and I have to say I’m a little nervous. I’ve never been to a meeting like this before, well; I guess that’s not true. I use to be a sex addict and the meetings were similar. Ironically everyone there was overweight too.

Melinda: Thanks for sharing Mary-Beth. I know this is a big step and a big decision that takes a lot of courage. We here at Jenny Craig applaud your bravery and courage and embrace it. How about Linda, will you share with us Linda?

Linda: Well, I use to be anorexic, and as you can see, that backfired.
(Lights)