Friday, January 11, 2008

Mmmm Sorry?


Sometimes I am faced with moments where I feel like a giant ass hole. It's those Larry David moments where you just cannot believe you have stooped this low as a human being. That happened to me once in a Target. I will never forget it.

I roamed carelessly through the women's section, grabbing random crap that I consciously knew I would never wear. Ponchos, jean shorts, raincoats; I was on a shopping rampage determined to get everything I needed in one short trip. I walked into the dressing room and a row of dressing stalls lay before me completely empty. Excellent, I had the whole place to myself. Naturally, like any normal human being, I snagged the handicapped dressing room.
Bigger mirror and more room.
I feel cramped and claustrophobic in the smaller ones.
I had 8 items.
Like always, I was dissatisfied with everything.
I took my time climbing in and out of jeans, swapping t-shirts, spinning around to catch a glimpse of my back side in the raincoat.
Nope.
Don't need any of it.
So I take my time re-hanging all of the garments. I grab them in a heap and open the door.
Oh no.
Oh god. There was a handicapped girl waiting to get into the dressing room.
"Whoops, sorry"
But was sorry going to cut it? Absolutely not. While I could have easily changed in one of the other 25 stalls, I selfishly chose the handicapped one. This girl had been deprived of her right to try on clothes. I might as well have poked a blind person in the eye.