Friday, June 20, 2008

Melanoma


I think every once in a while we hit lows in our lifetime where we are forced to take a step back and evaluate who we are and who we are becoming. The other day I decided to go to a tanning salon. I won't even beat around the bush and give you some lame excuse like "i need a base tan or I burn", I just simply wanted to rid myself of the gift that winter had given me...pale skin. Upon entering the salon I felt like I was at a travel agency because you have to buy things in "packages". This package comes with a month free, that package comes with lotion. I knew that I wasn't going to be in this for the long term, so I chose the smallest package. My only requirement was to buy a bottle of lotion. All right, whatever. That's when the girl turned around holding a bottle in each hand and said, "We have chocolate diamonds or Chocolate sun"
That's when I had an outer body experience...what had my life come to where I was making decisions between two "chocolate" lotions.
Were there real chunks of chocolate in them?
Why does the woman in front of me resemble a carrot?
Why are there playboy stickers in a cute basket?
Why do all the tanning beds resemble space ships?
Why am I here?
I needed to go. I needed to leave and rid myself of the year round bronze promise. Instead of taking the high road and apologizing for wasting her time, I opted for chocolate diamonds and proceeded to "bed 10", where I inevitably after an impressive 4 minutes, got sunburned.